Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study!!! Chapter 1

Hi there!! I am so excited to join the Daily 5 Book Study hosted by Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in Kindergarten! I have some catching up to do because my book just arrived! 

So for the book study, we were asked to answer some questions from Chapter one! We use our classroom as our reference. Here are my responses: 

1. How do I teach new behaviors?

I teach new behaviors by explaining the behavior and then modeling it. If I am lucky enough to have a video or picture to also show the behavior I show that as well. Once my students have enough English vocabulary I have them demonstrate the desired behavior as a skit and then have another pair of students demonstrate what not to do. We have a class discussion on what is the correct behavior. We also discuss as a class what the consequence should be.

2. How do I teach expectations?

I teach expectations in nearly the same way. I explain what I expect to students. Then I have a couple of students translate it to the peers that need it translated. We also recite our expectations throughout the day and on our T chart for behavior. Our class expectations consist of, “Show respect, Make good decisions, and Solve problems!” Our T chart has two columns. One is for what you would see and the other is what you would hear. We use this with our character traits and can save them for reference throughout the year.

3. How do I monitor student behavior? whole group? small groups? individual?

I monitor student behavior in a whole group by walking around the classroom and proximity! By mid year students start “checking” each other for their behaviors. Small group is harder for me. I try to pull small groups and end up watching the other students. The scenario in the book reminded me a lot of my classroom. I really need to strengthen this part. Individual student behavior is easier to monitor. I try to stop undesirable behaviors immediately and either stand near the child or speak with the child to change it.


4. What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?

If a student is not exhibiting desired behaviors I try to ignore it first. If that doesn’t work I ask them a set of questions that I recently learned in my Capturing Kids Hearts training. Here are the questions I ask: What are you doing? What are you supposed to be doing? Are you doing it? So, what are you going to do about it? What do you think will happen if you do it again?  As a teacher you don’t move on to the next question until the student has answered the one asked.

5. Whose classroom is it?

I try to make sure that students know that the classroom is their classroom just as much as mine. I do have a desk area but it doesn’t have much that students can’t touch. Students know not to touch my water bottle and to open the drawers. I have a mailbox where students can place pictures and letters for me. We work together as a class to clean up after projects and at the end of the day. I don’t assign jobs. I have a helper of the day that is rotated and helps with tasks.

6. Locus of control?

I give points to groups that have earned them. There is a chart on the wall that has all the group points. There isn’t any party or reward for having the most points. We merely stand up and clap for the group with the most points each month. Students can also earn awards throughout the day. These awards can consist of a sticker with information on it or bookmarks. Students also earn stickers for their homework packets.

7. Where are supplies stored?

Supplies are stored in labeled containers in the classroom for student use. Students also have crayons, pencils, and markers accessible at their tables. They have seat sacks that hold their work books, white boards, and clip boards. 

Reading this first chapter has me thinking a lot about my class! I love that! I love to reflect and improve! 
I can't wait to start chapter 2! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Kim 


2 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog at

    steeleinfirst.blogspot.com

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is adorable! I am your newest follower :o)

    ReplyDelete